If your calendar is now like mine then every face to face meeting, group presentation and event just became a webex, zoom, skype or teams session. How do you keep people engaged and ensure they participate?
Clearly some of these work better for small groups and others for larger audiences but hopefully it gives you some ideas to try out.
Thanks to everyone that commented on my LinkedIn post, which is where these are collated from
- Before you get started, stand in front of your camera then turn round, now you can see what everyone else can, anything that shoudn’t be there?
- Ask the viewers to turn the video on!
- Request that people mute their phones and close other apps they may be using
- Start on Time! Do not wait for people to join it’s rude to other attendees that joined on time
- Keep the agenda short and limit the number of words on your slides
- I would keep virtual sessions to 30 minutes, but try to only use 20
- Unless you have a specific person you need to introduce then don’t do group introductions
- Keep the slides brief and visual, you want people listening to you not reading your slides
- Limit the marketing, jump in to the topic, state the facts and get to the point
- Stand up while talking. It animates and helps to get more of your personality across
- Ask questions, better still, ask specific people questions. It engages them and makes everyone else realise they could be next
- Ask questions for people to respond in the chat, maybe even have someone moderating these to help you
- Surprise people, add something in they’re not expecting
- Practice using quizzes, polls, whiteboard etc. use the tools that the delivery platform offers but don’t break the flow of the session
- Always end with what you want to happen next, not a ‘Thank you‘
Most importantly though…engage, engage, engage, distractions for your audience are easy on virtual sessions so you need to keep connecting with them.
I always think that in times of adversity there is often opportunity. Now that I’m going to be spending more time on virtual events I’m going to really practice some of the points above and see which ones have the biggest impact.
I’d also love to hear any of your ideas and whether some of the points above worked for you so please do comment.
Stay safe everyone